Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Toys Were Not Us


Like clockwork, my morning started with a cup of freshly brewed coffee, a piece of bread and a slice of papaya. The ritual that followed was a quick visit to the garden and a brisk walk around the property. What a sight, the lawn is covered with a carpet of leaves after yesterday’s strong gust of winds and heavy rain. Some leaves were still hanging on to their green chlorophyll thanks to this unseasonable weather.

Another beautiful day but this time I was on the lookout for flooded walkways, detached roof shingles, broken tree limbs and fallen trees and there it was – a big branch from the Sycamore tree which belongs to the city but has now completely blocked our sidewalk. Took note of that, relayed this to the superintendent, then went on to finish my constitutional.

Passing by the dumpster, I noticed a soggy white bag left by the gate, filled with toys. After shaking off the rain water, I took the bag home and washed the toys. Some kid would find joy playing with these almost brand new collection of a variety of figures I couldn't even identify except for Mr. Potato Head.

The poor children back home in my little town came to mind. What they would give to be able to own these toys even if they're just made of plastic. Even with their suspected lead content. Which brings me back to my own childhood when Mattel, Hasbro, Fisher-Price among others were non-exist.

Paper dolls were a favorite of mine and I was lucky enough to have a doll which my mother sewed clothes for. That was the closest thing to Barbie that I owned. I remember the Maria Clara outfit handmade for her which became a model for my Home Economics class in my sixth grade.

The smell of a newly-opened box of Crayola crayons still linger in my mind; no paint brushes, silly putty or fancy learning toys. The boys had toys crafted from wood or Carnation milk boxes. They had sling shots, marbles and a collection of colorful rubber bands, hundreds of them. We read books and magazines like Liwayway and Bulaklak.

In the province, our first book was the English primer Pepe and Pilar. Much of their stories have vanished from my memory over the years (memory overload the term used nowadays), but I do remember their dog named Bantay. I wish I could still get a copy of that book to show my great grandnephews and grandnieces how I learned my first English words.

Today, the production of toys have become a flourishing industry; there's a toy for practically everything - action figures, radio-controlled vehicles, gender dolls (as in Barbie and Ken), you name it.

Reading books became out of style. Webster's has been replaced by the Urban Dictionary. MySpace took the place of letters to pen pals. Play Stations became a substitute for a game of basketball outdoors. Home theatres are preferred over a trip to the movie house with friends and families. These are the signs of the times.

Changing times and changing needs.
There is a reason and a season for everything.
But what a wonderful life it has been, even without toys!