Thursday, October 16, 2008

Not Ringo Starr

"If you see something, say something". It's a NYC Transit slogan and we won't go into the details of what it means, let Homeland Security take care of that. Mine is a different version, I saw something this morning and now I'm compelled to share it with my readers, so you'll have an idea what time management means to New Yorkers.

Stare at someone in the subways and you either get shot, yelled at, slapped with a rolled copy of the NY Post, spat on or get skinned with HOTTTT coffee. Worst-case scenario - all of the above. And that's why I either look down, bury my eyes in a book, pretend to be asleep or in the summer I hide behind my shades and secretly look on, since I value my life.

It's rude, I know, but today I just couldn't help it. I stared, but let me explain why.

A big guy the size of Lou Ferrigno sat across from me. He was sporting the NY signature all black outfit, carrying a tote bag with the Virgin logo, airlines or the record store I don't know. Seated, he fastened what looked like a skateboarding kneepad on his left knee, where else, then proceeded to take out a pair of sticks from his bag. What is he to do now? 'Took out a newspaper folded in quarter and placed it on his right knee. While reading the paper he started striking the knee pad with the sticks as if playing the drums.

My first thought was, he's got a folding bike inside his tote bag, he's going to ride. Another was, he's got arthritis and that must be one of the contraptions with therapeutic magnets in them. But no! He was practicing some drum beats I guess, but did you ever?

No sounds were produced, it must be made of rubber, I mean the kneecap. I craned to see what the name of the product is, upside down from my angle it appeared as "Craftsman". Isn't that the company that makes those tools sold at Sears or Home Depot?

So they were drum sticks. So he was actually wearing a construction protective gear and using it as drum to practice. How could I not get that right away?

"Hey, you never know". That's another slogan, this time of the NY Lottery. And my point, you ask? This big guy may be working in construction but he could also be playing at the Blue Note or some other big jazzy place. He's not Ringo Starr but who knows he must be a big name too!

Hey, I may have swiped the picture from somewhere, but I didn't make up this story. Ask any commuter, NYC never sleeps, it's alive with stories.