Monday, October 6, 2008

O'Cello


Ignore the post date, this took place on Friday, October 3rd.

The scene was the shuttle station from Grand Central to Times Square. Rose, Chong & I just left the Grand Central area where Ped treated us to huge bowls of sizzling hot Peking duck soup. Three pieces of shu mai, noodles , strips of bok choy leaves and what looked like quarter of a duck swimming in a tasty broth (I'm sure MSG-rich) filled our hungry tummy. Holy cow, or maybe holy duck, duck was so good! What was Ped thinking - we just had a Wall Street hungry man's meal!

Next stop is the South Street Seaport where I'll take them to see Olafur Eliasson's NYC Waterfalls. Huffing and puffing after a heavy meal, we decided the best way is to take the S shuttle to cross town. By this time Rose is dragging her feet already since it's almost her naptime. With all that MSG, that made it even worse, but she plans to go back for more of the same, with her sister Rita who cooks the best shark fin soup. What's wrong with this picture? You're treating her to fast food Chinese restaurant cooking? That'd be a big letdown for Rita.

Beautiful sounds filled the underground - my head turned, I walked a few steps, then took a second look. It's not a conventional cello this young fella was playing. I walked back to watch him play and gentle nod was his cue to "Go ahead, it's okay to take my picture".

It turned out to be a homemade stripped-down electric cello. Did you ever see one of this? This guy Sean Grissom calls himself The Cajun Cellist, and like many of the Julliard School grads takes this as the first step. As part of the MUNY (Music Under New York) program, he plays his music underground and hopes to collect a dollar here and there from music-loving commuters as their note of thanks. As soon as we got home, I looked him up and he's quite talented it seems. He's done a few performances including once at the Kennedy Center, one other show he did was entitled O'Cello.


As if we didn't have enough of Peking in the duck soup, we were greeted by a tall ship named Peking docked by the Seaport. Tourists made up most of the bystanders and the picture-taking crowd trying to get a last look at the Waterfalls before the artwork is taken down next week. Walking around we spotted the Sedutto ice cream stand and don't be so shocked these three little women are also three hungry ones! You got it, those few blocks we walked from the station burned all the calories we had for lunch, one wonders what kind of metabolism we have even at this golden age. (We're not revealing our age.)

A large waffle cone pistachio ice cream, (who knows where all this appetite is coming from), was what I had, and so did Rose while Chong had the espresso. I said Rose should have that instead so she could keep her eyes open. I felt sick after eating all that, really it's a sin if you saw how much of that soup I gulped down! What a pigout!

I conked out on the cold subway seat on the way home, darn MSG must still be working. Even the quick stop at Brookstone didn't interest me anymore, I just wanna be in bed. And yes I finally did, right after checking out Sean's cello music on YouTube. Ah, Cello!