
I may be alone in this but I was thrilled to learn that the second week in October is Squirrel Appreciation Week. Surprise!
Sorry folks, I missed it; in case you haven't picked up on it, I'm quite fond of this fun-to-watch creature. They're a favorite subject in my blog - this is the fourth post so far.
I don't see them as pain in the ass, actually they're quite entertaining. Have you watched them climb the trees and sometimes lay spread-eagle on the trunk? Cooling off or playing dead? I'm serious.
Have you seen them run for their lives from the feisty blue jays that dispute ownership of a tree or the yard? It is hilarious, maybe not for the squirrel who gets pecked at if it's not fast enough. This constant battle between the two seems like the US Presidential race! Did you see them roast each other at the Alfred E. Smith dinner, that was hysterical.
It's okay my friend, have it your way, eat the acorns and I'll clean up after you; but you know it's not fair - you chewed on my magnolia blossoms then you discovered they're not tasty so you left all the buds with holes! Now the petals look like slices of white Swiss cheese, you!!!
Okay, okay, this is weird, but I do appreciate these rodents. They make me smile.