“Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I –
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference”
*** Robert Frost***
At about noon, on October 10, 1970, at the old Manila International Airport, I boarded a Japan Airlines 747 bound for Newark, New Jersey. Filled with fear and anxiety, hope was also there for the start of a new beginning. Met by family at Newark Airport, it was a crisp, colorful Fall day when I arrived.
Something almost made me want to pass up this great opportunity to come to the US. But I didn't. When I arrived in October 1970 I had buried all hopes of fulfilling the other part of my dream. New challenges faced me - the struggle to start a career on foreign soil and to cope with a recent loss. Somehow, we need to make these leaps of faith in order to survive and I did.
I'm no longer interested in searching for answers that justify all.
If life is a series of destinations, I guess I didn't do too bad for my part.