The roads were empty on the way to New Jersey but as usual the expected happened. Between Mapquest's sucky directions and Jersey's horrible road signs, I don't know who to curse; we missed a turn and ended up in a gas station for help. This I was trying to avoid since we are not on friendly territory. If you've driven on the Jersey Turnpike you know you're toast if you miss an exit or a turn!I was disappointed that the Prudential Center Arena with an 18,000 seating capacity wasn't filled to the roof. Our seats were perfect mezzanine center, it was too bad that I was such a jerk to be so "law-abiding" not to bring a camera. I saw lots of people taking pictures, not fair. Security check even made me dump my can of ginger ale and bottled water into the trash. So mean!
The minute Tina got on stage half-hour late, the arena rocked. However I found the New Jersey audience to be a little subdued compared to the New York crowds.
The 69 year old still sexy but classy Tina was energy-packed and her voice seems to be more powerful than ever. Wearing those 6-inch spike heels and doing her signature leg twitches and kicks, body and head shakes, she displayed such physical stamina most women in their 60's would have long lost. Her singing remains flawless as she reached her golden age, the crowd roaring as she sang What's Love Got to Do With It, Al Green's Let's Stay Together, The Beatles' Help, Creedence Clearwater Revival's Proud Mary, Private Dancer, Simply The Best and a host of other old and new songs.
The band electrified the stage, the whole set and the show with the dancers, back-up singers and the pyrotechnic display was a blast! She began to sing Proud Mary with a series of nice and easy body sways that teased the audience and finally broke into an explosion that's Tina Turner's trademark.
She was great, seemed fearless as she was lifted by a cherry picker several feet above the band on stage, and continued to sing and dance on what looked like a narrow slippery runway.
What a performance! Age-defying, strong and still sexy, sometimes referred to as the female Mick Jagger, Tina Turner is simply the best.