Life nowadays is too complex so let me just focus on a simple thing and leave the checking of portfolios and serious thinking to the scholars and economic pundits.
A distraction from the bone-penetrating 20F temperatures and the nose-diving economy, all day yesterday I went through my files which seemingly gets bigger and bigger each day. This is what I'd call an exercise in "voluntary simplicity". I'm not proud to declare that I have an aversion to pack rats. Luckily the disorder hasn't afflicted me so I swear just shoot me when that happens.
I'd also like to believe that I'm not alone in this; once a year I weed out my files and grudgingly let go of the ones that are old and have no room in the cabinet. I just hope the old connotation doesn't give my family an idea that they can get rid of me when I reach that stage. Slowly getting there but not feeling it yet. Side note: Soylent Green. For those of you who are too young to be familiar with this 1973 sci-fi film, I'd say just Google it and then borrow and watch it!

Paper, paper everywhere - there's just too much of it, catalogs, newspapers, supermarket circulars, you name it. And all unsolicited. There is no end in sight. And we're wondering where all the money is going and why there is a need to save planet Earth?
Mayor Bloomberg is thinking "outside the bag" by proposing a 6-cents charge to the customer for every plastic bag the grocer hands out. Great idea. You go green, Mr. Mayor. It's about time, was it in Amsterdam where I observed this practice?
Downsize, scale back, minimalize or simplify, whatever the buzzword is, maybe that's the solution. Anyway, my bagful of confetti went for recycling. That's my small contribution. What a great invention this paper shredder, don't you think?