
The film Doubt brings us closer to the Roman Catholic church's most sensitive issue, that of inappropriate behavior among some of its clergies. Who could have performed any better than the high caliber actress Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman of the famed Capote?
The reviews are mixed and often is a comparison with the play version, Doubt is a cerebral execution of another brilliant drama but with a subtle treatment of its story plot. It is a thought-provoking simple story, simply told with such powerful dialogue between the lead characters.
Let's not leave out Viola Davis (Mrs. Miller) and her few minutes on the screen pleading her son's case, making her an excellent contender for the Oscars as supporting actress. She was absolutely great. I wish they had engaged in their dialogue much longer than it was shown. I wanted to see more of Viola Davis' dramatic rendition. It was moving.
All she held on to and fought for was her faith and moral certainty, the authoritarian Sister Aloysius. Father Flynn's moralizing homilies left us weighing the balance between doubt and certainty. Philip Seymour Hoffman was perfect for the role.
I was left with a lot of questions. Doubts, maybe. I'll spare the details for a postmortem with my friends who intend to see this movie and maybe they'll have some answers.
Definitely an Oscar candidate. A must-see.