After almost a week's bout with what started as a tickle in my throat, it was very clear that ignoring the problem will not make this hack go away. When you are of a certain age, a quick trip to the doctor becomes a necessity and yesterday's was less than amusing.
After the routine "Say aah's" and a declaration that "I don't see anything but a slight wax buildup in your right ear", Dr. Jekyll concluded that I don't have strep (Imagine? Just by poking and looking) and I may just need rest and something else. The "something else" part clearly did not sit well with me.
In the meantime, he got this contraption ready for me to inhale some steam from. I shoved it in my mouth and started puffing in some steam and it dawned on me that it wasn't just water I'm taking in. In the middle of a coughing fit, I asked him if this was medicated plus all sorts of questions. Taking care not to tread on his toes, I reminded him that I'm not asthmatic and I don't like being drugged. If he wasn't pleased about my "dissertation", he did a good job of not displaying it; I'm just hoping that he won't take his revenge on my frail body.
But of course he assured me that it was nothing harmful and a minimal metered dose will not kill me. Thanks a lot! Finally his verdict was to put me on a five-day dose of antibiotics. What physician is not notorious of this practice? I wonder if it was a cure for my illness or a punishment for my being a "know-it-all" and questioning his medical approach. It is my body after all.
By the way, I do clean my ears regularly; how dare he! Anyway, we'll see what happens. I hope to live to see this year's Christmas tree at the Rockefeller Center.