Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Christmas Pageant

This is what's left of tonight's Christmas pageant at Our Lady Queen of Martyrs. An altar with a makeshift stable and a chair where Mary sat while she cradled the Infant Jesus.

As you might guess, 20 or so little kids took part and pride in the re-enactment of the birth of Christ. Each year one wonders what will be different or strange about this new production. And it doesn't necessarily get better.

The children's choir was reduced from what used to be (not exactly the Vienna) Boys and Girls Choir to just five girls singing a little off-key. They must have chosen the smallest kids they have in the school because the Three Kings looked like midgets to me. But of course they all wore what we can accept as the proper costumes for the pageant. However, old patriarch Abraham's garb was a little too short, it showed his pair of white-as-a nurse's- shoe- white sneakers.

What d'ya know, the rest of the biblical men, including the Magi, wore their best looking Nikes too. Overheard on the way out of the church, was a lady parishioner mumbling something about "those shoes were inappropriate". I had to laugh.

Not much can be said about the four sweet angels wearing angel outfits, one attire was even sleeveless, and whoever sewed these costumes must not have any clue what angel wings should look like. Poor little girls, their mothers must have practiced their sewing skills for these girls' first try on what could be future stardom on Broadway. They did their best, the kids and the moms. I give them an "A" for a-trying.

The youngest-looking angel who knelt before the Holy Family, must have been allergic to the poinsettias she kept sneezing while this show was going on. There was no Kleenex anywhere in site.

Traditionally, a real live baby plays the part of the Infant Jesus but this time the ceramic figure that's part of the creche was used. Msgr. Funaro commented about this and of course Father Passenant has to have his humorous take on I guess the shortage of babies in the parish and blurted out to the congregation, "Get busy then". Not in the presence of 100 kids, Father!
Had I known, I could've imported one adorable baby (Tom) Jesus from Heidelberg. I'm sure his brothers, saintly Peter and kingly David, wouldn't mind tagging along for the few hours flight.

As you might guess again, I brought my camera for this event, but I didn't have the guts to take even one picture of the entire cast. After the pageant, the pastor allowed a photo shoot by the parents of these wonderful kids and of course, I thought there were only about 20 kids participating. It turned out they brought a whole slew of friends and relatives, who all ended up in front of the altar blocking my view at every angle. Well, I gave them the honors, it's their act and their show.

The parents were so proud of them. I am too. I was a kid once and I remember what it's like to be chosen for a part in a play. It is a big deal! God bless those precious children. And their parents too.