Thursday, November 26, 2009

Giving thanks

These turkeys were roaming the woods at Big Bass Lake. I tried to get closer to get better shots but they just took off. Dumb fowl had no idea what was happening, not realizing they could win stardom for appearing in my lousy blog post. If they were spared from being the centerpiece at the Thanksgiving table, then they must have plenty to thank for.

Contrary to what I was accustomed to, these fellas were quiet. There was no panic and none of the noisy chattering. I expected at least one of them to attack me, but no they just arrogantly strutted away. From what I gathered, turkeys are pretty stupid. They make a lot of noise but run scared of everything. Throw them an apple and like a football it will be tossed around and played with!

Out on Long Island I heard that while the hunters were busy chasing these birds for their holiday dinner, one got away and landed on the roof of a house. So they must not be stupid after all if they can climb trees, rooftops and even fly!

One thing they can be trusted to do quite well is to rid Bambi of her ticks. Just raise a farm of these feathered friends and you got yourself free of Lyme disease.

And on that note, have a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your turkeyfest.