The scenery along the way wasn’t exactly in living color. It was a bit late for a peak foliage viewing but it didn’t matter. Gouldsboro is a charming village tucked away in the lush woods on top of the Poconos. I marveled at Carol’s beautiful chalet. It is rustic enough to allow us to commune with nature, something of a Thoreau-like existence in Walden Pond. As a matter of fact we were greeted by a bunch of wild turkeys nonchalantly roaming about, but of course as soon as I aimed my camera at the flock they quietly retreated. I should mind my manners they too need their privacy.
Carol, our hostess, had waiting for us a pot of piping hot coffee, a cup each Maria and I quickly gulped down. Caffeine starved, we had no time to linger over Java. This was Halloween, all day of eating, drinking and getting scared. Carol goes all out for the holidays I was told and the freaky menus she prepared were a testimony to that! While Carol was mummifying the sausages, Judy who is still comfy in her pj’s was delegating as usual, Dorothy was in the shower, Sheila wedged herself between Carol and the sink to clean up after her. Carol didn’t want any of that help, we got booed out of the kitchen and so we grudgingly obeyed after some silly bickering and sipped our second cup.
After breakfast we sat to enjoy the slideshow of the pictures of Judy’s and Dorothy’s recent Tanzanian safari tour. It was awesome, about 900 pictures altogether of the lodge, the tented camp and their adventures with the great wildlife and that includes witnessing a kill and the Maasai women building a hut with sticks, mud and dung. The two of them were amazed at the vast sprawling grassland, the star-studded nights and the great sightings they’ve experienced. It is humbling just watching the whole slideshow; I can’t imagine what it’s like being there.
We didn’t have to travel far for a deer sighting. Right outside Carol’s cabin a buck and possibly it’s mate and a fawn came to visit long enough for us to snap some shots. I suspect that they were the same herd that cleaned out the puking Jack-o-lantern that was sitting on the porch.
For lunch, Carol served a snakey sandwich with a side of pasta salad topped with a deviled (egg) eye. Dorothy made her newly-found recipe for avocado dip. That sure was delicious, the whole lunch thing, but I just couldn’t eat the head of the snake. Did I mention that while we were watching the picture show, Carol also baked some pumpkin cookies? There was no end to her creativity. And I helped paint the tombstones for the ghastly graveyard dessert with RIP, a crucifix or Boo (that wasn’t easy)!
What to do next? Walk in the woods? No, it was raining. So we either stare at or try to ignore each other, but Carol had an antidote for that – a game of cards. Oh no! The possibilities of humiliating myself playing cards are seemingly endless. Like a dimwit, I’ve begged off on some of these games in the past and plotted ways to avoid joining them since I can only handle the more sedate but boring solitaire. Yup! Now the bridge experts got me drawn into their orbit of card games. It was Hand and Foot this time, something similar to Canasta I was told.
Dorothy came down really hard on me announcing “ Cecilia, that’s not a Joker, it’s a Jack!”. Who cares? And kept reminding me to” breast your cards” to which I replied “What… my cards now? Excuse me, but what exactly do you mean?". They laughed and that’s when I delivered my best Big Ass puns (as in Big Bass) of body parts and ended up laughing uncontrollably myself.
My game partner Judy was so patient and Sheila was a good teacher. I’ve fouled up plenty of things in my life before but I swore not this one – I was determined to learn and win this game. Yup, Judy and I won despite the fact that rules were made up or changed as we went along.
Tell me something new about this crew.
Tell me something new about this crew.
More of the creepy cuisine for dinner: Spooky shepherd’s pie, vampire elixir and for dessert the ghastly graveyard and eyeball snacks. Yummy!
Popcorn was handed at the movies: I’ll Drag You to Hell. Dorothy fell asleep, Judy snored, I didn’t get scared, Sheila thought it was violent, Maria thought it was okay, Carol thought she should have previewed it before showing.
I turned in after the movies and they all played the game of Things. I had no clue what it was all about, from the bedroom all I heard were the words sex and cops.
I enjoyed the card game and the entire Halloween-inspired creations of Carol. I went to bed feeling like a pumpkin needing to be carved, my tummy was ready to explode. My last thought before I finally dozed off lingered on the fire that was burning in the fireplace - it was warm and soothing, a perfect evening in the woods.
Sunday morning Sheila, Dorothy, Maria and I went to hear mass which was held at the village firehouse next to the church. Who knows why, I could've asked the villagers but I was timid. Everyone looked so proper and reserved I'm afraid I might scare them. Before church we went to Baruta's Store to pick up a few things. It is the only convenience store in the tiny little town and run by a friendly little old lady, but mind you, she sells everything I swear.
Sunday morning Sheila, Dorothy, Maria and I went to hear mass which was held at the village firehouse next to the church. Who knows why, I could've asked the villagers but I was timid. Everyone looked so proper and reserved I'm afraid I might scare them. Before church we went to Baruta's Store to pick up a few things. It is the only convenience store in the tiny little town and run by a friendly little old lady, but mind you, she sells everything I swear.
After lunch we headed home and the plan was to take a detour to Basking Ridge, NJ for some apple picking. It's a long story. We drove around in circles, darn GPS not doing its job again, it got dark and we all decided to just drive back to the city. Traffic should be light by now, the NYC marathoners have dispersed, except probably for a few stragglers .
It was a treat! Carol outdid herself, she is the perfect hostess. Little does she know that the halloween word search game and Hand and Foot scared me to death. That was the trick - it was tough but she still gave me a prize for not getting it!
It was a treat! Carol outdid herself, she is the perfect hostess. Little does she know that the halloween word search game and Hand and Foot scared me to death. That was the trick - it was tough but she still gave me a prize for not getting it!
Thanks for sharing your cabin sweet cabin. We had fun.