For me, the conclusion of the games at the US Open is a herald of Fall. Sort of. It sure brings to mind the coming of cooler weather. It’s been a mild summer in New York and for the past few days it already felt like Fall. That gives me plenty of reason to enjoy the outdoors gardening - minus the scorching sun.
Now is the time to plant. Some might think it’s a little quirky of me to take this task on, taking care of dividing plants and transplanting them to get ready for Spring. I find it therapeutic and while working with soil stains my nails and messes my hands and feet (yes, even with a full gear of gloves and gardening shoes), it gives me a surge of energy and a great deal of satisfaction, especially when the garden grows lush in the springtime.
Nathan, a four-year old tot is one of my tiny gardening friends. Today he asked me if I saw his “worm”, the one he took home yesterday to take care of. It was an earthworm he was playing with, left near the flowers beds for it "to sleep", unfortunately it got away in the night and so I promised him I’ll find him another one. It was a bit much for him to process when I explained to him how the earthworm burrows into and helps aerate the soil; for him it was an impertinent fact - all he cared about was "get me another one I can play with - now" and he wasn’t scared of the little crawlie too! Yuck! He actually stood there waiting for me to dig the ground to find him one; then his dad took him by the hand and off they went. Going fishing without the worm, I doubt it. To be young, my dear Nathan!
I tell you, gardening has taken over my life and I’m not a bit sorry about that. For at least three to four hours a day, I’m out there down on my knees working with soil. Yesterday, I dug out the rhizomes of the purple Iris plants and divided some more of the ornamental grass Liriope that has grown into clumps and aggressively spread invading two of our front lawn sections. You need a hacksaw and an ax to cut through the thick woody roots. Yes, I may have the strength but should I risk tearing my shoulder completely? You must be kidding, after what I went through in physical therapy, I know better. Thank goodness I have the luxury of a brawny porter, Adolfo.
My harvest for the Iris came out to over 300 rhizomes, part of which I’ve already planted in many areas of the property. Let’s hope those pesky squirrels will leave them alone. I had our porter Adolfo’s help in digging out the ornamental grass, we yielded quite a few hundred bunches enough to serve as groundcover for a large part of the complex. Once transplanted, they sure dressed up the sparse areas under the trees especially with the variegated hostas we planted around them. Residents noticed and loved it. The Liriope or Lilyturf that I used as borders will bind the soil and serve as a form of erosion control, which we have a problem with since we are situated on hilly grounds. Not exactly an engineering marvel, but is sure cheaper than building wooden retaining walls.
There’s a lot more to do, I can’t wait till the morning. I hope to find a "squiggly" for Nathan.
Ask any gardener and they’ll tell you , they live in their yard.
“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is a society where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more.”
--- Lord Byron
from Childe Harold’s Pilgrimage
There’s a lot more to do, I can’t wait till the morning. I hope to find a "squiggly" for Nathan.
Ask any gardener and they’ll tell you , they live in their yard.
“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is a society where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more.”
--- Lord Byron
from Childe Harold’s Pilgrimage