It's getting to be a big production. I hopped on the bus this morning to get to Corona to buy the high density foam for the chair padding. Fabric City on Northern Blvd. is an upholsterer's heaven, I went crazy. The store owner referred me also to an upholsterer a few blocks away in case I want to have it done by them, but I said I'll do it myself. I walked about eight blocks to see what this place had to offer, checked out their work and the prices. For my next project, the rocking chair of Inang, I think they are too pricey, labor only.
A section of Queens I have not really explored, I found Corona and East Elmhurst very diverse. Many Hispanics, lots of little stores, nice, clean multi-family homes and friendly people.A toothless little old lady crossing the street greeted me with with a lively "Buenas dias, Senorita" and I found that so sweet and refreshing. How did she know I'm a senorita? Asking for directions, I wrestled with my lousy Spanish but managed to get understood.
Heading back I had no clue what bus to take. I spotted the elevated train from a distance, walked towards that area and took the #7 towards Elmhurst to get my hair cut. I tell you, it was like travelling the two continents. By the time I got there, my tummy was grumbling, I had to get something to eat at the Chinese smorgasbord place. Yummy for $3.00, pansit and a can of coke!
My feet were killing me when I got to my front door. Who said walking is good for your health? Why walk then? Parking space is in short supply in that neck of the woods. Tonight I'll tackle this project, not exactly my trade but I'm eager to take the challenge. Looks easy to do, but wait till I get to the stretching of the fabric part and tucking in and all.
Wish me luck. Lots of it.