Sunday, August 17, 2008

Big 60 Chong

I have been blessed with two of the most wonderful friends in the world - Chong and Rose. What was to be a surprise for Chong's big 60th yesterday, was sort of foiled but we won't go into the details.

Rose and I treated her to the musical Gypsy starring Patti Lupone. The theatre at matinee was not packed to the ceiling, but you can feel the excitement of the audience as Patti sang with such dynamic artistry. I just love the song "Small World". She hasn't changed - from playing the title role in Evita to Maria Callas in Master Class, she is a performer ... par excellence!

We were both glad that Chong loved her present - she was thrilled. Our cheaper balcony seats were even upgraded (for unknown reason, and we're not complaining) to the rear mezzanine, that's one flight less to travel, thank God. I'll need an oxygen tank if we get any higher. Dinner was on Rose at our old work hangout Simply Pasta. Italian of course and never complete without the finale of profiteroles and capuccino. Thank you Rosie!
Looking her best at Six O, swept away by Patti's performance and filled up by the entree of fettuccine con salmone, Chong enjoyed her big, special day. How about that birthday loot of a pair of sailing shorts and golf shirt from Rose, ha? Many more healthy and happy ones, kiddo.
Long time genuine friendships such as the one I have with Rose and Chong are ageless, like Gypsy Rose Lee herself.
"But friendship is precious, not only in the shade, but in the sunshine of life; and thanks to a benevolent arrangement of things, the greater part of life is sunshine".
-
Thomas Jefferson