Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"What My Dad Gave Me"

Standing more than six stories at the Rockfeller Channel Gardens is the model skyscraper built out of replicas of Erector toy construction parts. The artist Chris Burden named his sculpture What My Dad Gave Me.

I didn't have the luxury of playing with Erector sets as a child so looking at that structure all I could say is, it’s bizarre. Until I read up on what kind of work was put into its creation, I didn’t appreciate this piece of sculpture. A couple of tourists asked me what it is and I told them a bit of what I've read. “Hmmm..only in New York” was the comment, and then they walked away.

Inspired by a child-like imagination, this was assembled out of about a million stainless steel parts into a 65-foot tall scaled down Rockefeller Center. You may call it a toy; however, it is anything but child’s play. It’s a work of art. What do you think?