At 6:00 pm tonight, camera in tow while scanning the grounds for interesting things to photograph, I walked into strands of plastic threads and strings hanging down from a cherry tree. They draped onto my eyeglasses and before I started pulling them away, I looked up and there it is... a mother robin nesting on the tree!
The nest is elaborately woven from a collection of dried grass, some fine twigs and entangled are these plastic threads that look like the kind used for beading and the others are synthetic twine used to tie packages. Such ingenuity and concern for the environment; we could learn from this little bird about recycling and conservation of resources. And maybe the bird used these materials for decorative purpose too.
Doesn't it look like this bird is making some kind of political statement here? It's really fascinating, what treasures one could find just by strolling in the garden. By the way, I cut the overhanging twine to prevent the kids from tugging at them and disturbing the robin or even worse destroying the nest. I'll check on it everyday.
Sting and One World
I love Sting. PBS featured The Police last night, oh how young were they then! One song that stood out is "One World" and the message in the lyrics One world is enough for all of us. Truly a political statement.
He's absolutely right, there is enough room for all of us in this world. We can coexist with the robins and all other living creatures.