Let's cut to the chase - it's the Mets vs. the Phillies. I 've no idea who the Phillies are, I can only tell them apart from the Mets by the color of their jerseys. Thanks to our friend Ces who used to be a die-hard Mets fan, I learned a few things today. First, that when a player on the Mets team hits a home run at Citi Field, the giant fiberglass apple rises from a 16-foot black top hat over the centerfield wall. And I thought the shiny red apple is just a New York fixture. Apparently this is a big deal to the fans. A petition was even signed in the fight to have the sweet home-run fruit moved to its new home at Citi Field after Shea was torn down.
Second, Ces said that the orange poles in the ball field are what they call foul poles. I knew that, but what I didn't know is that the term foul pole is a misnomer since they are in fair territory. Any batted ball that strikes the pole or its attached netting is a fair ball and is ruled a home run, and so forth and so on. I was totally confused I tuned her out after the first rule. So much for Foul 101 all I care about is for the home team to win.
But what a shock, the beverage list includes Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon. Holy cannoli, am I at the stadium? It turns out their burgers are overrated and don't measure up to the new kid on the block - Five Guys which has great burgers and perfect fries - Obama's pick.
But we can't turn our backs on them, we love New York, the Mets and its apple. We love it to its core.
One home run - it's the most work the poor red apple did today. And it was worth watching.