A chain link fence encloses the makeshift boathouse on the other side of the Meadow Lake as the old one is being renovated and won't be open for two years. All of the Club activities and classes still proceed as if nothing is happening and of course that includes the yearly Labor Day blast.
From cotton candy and kite peddling to quadri-cycling, or simply wandering shirtless in the park, everyone seems to be expending some energy except me. If aging is in your mind, you're so on target. Sometimes I just like to sit around and take it all in.
I'm a glaring contrast to my friends. The extent of my athleticism is pointing at a subject and pressing the shutter button to take some blurry shots and my idea of hiking is grabbing some food as I circle the picnic table. So what do I know about knots? Nothing, except maybe to untangle them? I happen to know a thing or two about weeding or pruning if that counts as a competitive, skillful and entertaining physical activity to you.
The Labor Day festival was capped off with a 7-gun salute that was fired from a yachting cannon. So real, it casted a haze of gun smokes on the dock. Although the picture might suggest otherwise. Sorry Walter, from my vantage point all I could take was your behind.
Walter's toy, a 16-inch reproduction of the Herreshoff Saluting Cannon, boomed out the 7-gun salute. It's made of bronze, rides on a teak carriage, loads and fires 10 gauge blanks. Loud it was that I was told to wear earmuffs as I get closer to the dock. The Russian picnickers were spooked out while Walter's baby twins just slept thru the ritual. It was fun.
Piracy on the high seas! It looks like there's some serious and stern reprimanding going on here. Hey Petra Pan, it's not like there's some crocodiles that got a taste of Hook here that will resurface from this murky lake.
Back off Barbara. No one dies of excessive joie de vivre which Walter possesses. It's a toy for heaven's sake. Who cares if the Russians complained to you about the noise? They were pissed, so what. The cops knew about the gun-firing and if these people can't take a little bit of noise let them go ahead and rally their troops.