Here's a good place to start, clean up the mess the revelers left behind after the rare blue moon New Year's celebration in Times Square. It might also be a good idea to take down all the holiday decorations. Given the number of trips I need to make to the garage to hide these boxes of ornaments, followed by the big haul of the poor tree to the dumpster, I better get going before another nor'easter gets dumped on our doorstep.'Tis the season to undecorate, close the books on 2009 and start with a clean slate which is something easier said than done. Speaking of clean-ups too bad I can't undo one of the events of last year and wipe off the mess as if it never occured. Sounds serious? Naah.
It was no walk in the park but something we were able to nip. At last year's election of the board I was grateful to have been inducted for the second term. Unfortunately some people found it difficult to admit losing. One thing led to another and a dissident group of five was born which kicked off a series of unpleasant events. There were no dodging of stones or bullets. That would be just unmanly, wouldn't it? Just childish antics, lies, lies, more lies which kept the board volleying every single attack. What a waste of our time, really. And may I remind you that this is a payless, thankless volunteer job.
It went on for a good five months but we prevailed. Might I add that we did scare the crap out of them. One thing I learned from this is to never judge anything by its cover. The size of a human's skull is not evidence of the presence of any frontal lobe. I guess I was asking for too much. Seriously!
Another lesson I learned is that good deeds do not go unnoticed, people that matter will stand by you, then life will go on or shall I say business as usual. Now if I click my way back to 2009, with the exception of this annoyance it was a very good year.
Peering into the crystal ball, I see a bright 2010. It will not be free of conflicts, disappointments, or unrealized grand expectations. That computer will not boot up, clothes won't fit, relatives will overstay their visit, we will overshoot our budget but we wont quit, instead face these challenges head-on. Just promise me good health and peace I'll be good with that.
Settle down people and tidy up for the New Year.
Happy 2010 everyone!