Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Baby it's cold outside!


The trouble with the weather is that you can never predict it with pinpoint accuracy. This time, it's North Texas that has been hit hard so I really have no reason to complain since lately all we've gotten is a few dusting of snow. Wrong. It's still too damn cold for me to be out there. I sort of dropped out from my scheduled activities and totally broke my routine.

Cold snaps can quickly degenerate into wicked weather that can in turn give you a patch of the blues. Let's see how we can smother that with some not so simple solutions. One by engaging in winter sports or joining the Polar Bear Club. My genes unfortunately were not designed for sporting or bathing in the frigid Coney Island waters, so that ain't happening.

Or you can put some good music on, but watch that Eric Clapton's guitar riff doesn't send you into an even steeper drop in emotions. Try Rod Stewart, Sting or John Mayer.

Or you can bake and eat all you can and watch your weight ratchet up like the Big Losers on one of those reality shows. You'll bounce back, guaranteed but only like a blubber ball. Individual results may vary!

Or you can sit and slowly turn into a frozen slug by watching all of Kurosawa's finest or episodes of Deadliest Catch fishing for king crabs on the Bering Sea. That was something else. How did they film that? It's no small feat dropping those crab pots and working under those treacherous icy conditions. Be thankful for your job, others have it far worse than you. The cameramen filming the episodes, the deckhands and fishermen braving the extreme winter weather in Alaska must be in danger all the time. It's hard to tell these days but I hope that's not all scripted reality show.

Or you can go to the mall and walk several laps to shed off those holiday pounds, then stop by Ikea to meet nice strangers. Yeah, he's an Englishman. I went to Ikea to return a rug only to be greeted with a long line at the entrance. What's this? A glut on storage bins and shelving? So I approached this tall, lean fellow who looked like he's an employee. He was minding the self-checkout lane for those of us who can't aim that bar code reader right. These scanners you either love them or hate them.

"So what's the line for?", I asked.

"Oh, it's the Malm 5-drawer chest now on sale for $49.99", he answered.

"I love your British accent; did you just move to New York?", I asked without blushing.

"I love yours too and I'm from Massapequa (Long Island). Originally from California, he chuckled," and where are you from?"

And we both broke into laughter. It was a brief but warm conversation, so refreshing to see good cheer in this era of rushed city life.

It's also a gift some people have. There are those who are skilled in dealing with strangers, I mean making small talk. I'm no social butterfly but I've encountered a few of the friendly ones. Shy I am, but sometimes all it takes is a little hello. Try it, it's more fun than finding a wall to stare at and ignoring that person next to you. Unless they look like they wanna be left alone.

Mr. Noname Englishman, you were friendly, ' sorry but:

I really can't stay
So really I'd better scurry
Baby it's cold outside

Deal with it. It's cold but don't let the blues kick you in the behind.

(*Credits: Picture was taken by Maria at the New Year's Day plunge of not exactly the Long Beach Polar Bear Club members. Sorry I missed the event and a chance to meet Judy's mom. Long Beach is her home. )