But where are the flowers?
The miniature icicle pansies (violas) stood tough against the harsh winter and now display potpourris of brilliant yellow and purple little flowers around the condominium grounds. Take a close look around the courtyards, you'll know where the flowers are! They're everywhere. Well, at least the beginnings of flowers are everywhere. The tulips have started to push their way up through the soil and are about 2-3 inches tall at this point. The trumpet daffodils are ready to transform the ground into a mass of blazing yellows and gold.
It was a long, icy winter here in the northeast. The irishes are fickle as so many beautiful things are. I transplanted about 300 irish rhizomes last Fall and now I see some signs of growth so I hope they'll be good to bloom in their new locations. The bulbs have survived the winter and are now on their way to producing what will be a spectacular display in May. I can now breathe a sigh of relief knowing that the bulbs didn't freeze or rot or become squirrel food. It's just a waiting game now till the great May payoff.
In six weeks or so the little buds on our ornamental cherry and apple trees will become beautiful blossoms. I can't wait to see the middle and our longest courtyard lined with these trees boast their masses of dazzling pink and white blossoms. A real spectacle outside of a botanical garden. Move over Brooklyn Botanic Garden we have one right at our doorsteps!
As I was writing this piece, a hailstorm went by briefly dumping loads of ice pellets at the front door and on top of all these plants that are trying to come out and be reborn. I know they are tough and will survive this squall, really one of nature's amazing wonders. Soon we will see once more an abundance of beauty and life in my garden.
The miniature icicle pansies (violas) stood tough against the harsh winter and now display potpourris of brilliant yellow and purple little flowers around the condominium grounds. Take a close look around the courtyards, you'll know where the flowers are! They're everywhere. Well, at least the beginnings of flowers are everywhere. The tulips have started to push their way up through the soil and are about 2-3 inches tall at this point. The trumpet daffodils are ready to transform the ground into a mass of blazing yellows and gold.
It was a long, icy winter here in the northeast. The irishes are fickle as so many beautiful things are. I transplanted about 300 irish rhizomes last Fall and now I see some signs of growth so I hope they'll be good to bloom in their new locations. The bulbs have survived the winter and are now on their way to producing what will be a spectacular display in May. I can now breathe a sigh of relief knowing that the bulbs didn't freeze or rot or become squirrel food. It's just a waiting game now till the great May payoff.
In six weeks or so the little buds on our ornamental cherry and apple trees will become beautiful blossoms. I can't wait to see the middle and our longest courtyard lined with these trees boast their masses of dazzling pink and white blossoms. A real spectacle outside of a botanical garden. Move over Brooklyn Botanic Garden we have one right at our doorsteps!
As I was writing this piece, a hailstorm went by briefly dumping loads of ice pellets at the front door and on top of all these plants that are trying to come out and be reborn. I know they are tough and will survive this squall, really one of nature's amazing wonders. Soon we will see once more an abundance of beauty and life in my garden.
Even the songbirds are chirping away at 3:00 in the morning and the bright red cardinals taking off from the beautiful old lamp posts and landing atop the trees pronouncing their territories. A sight I wake up to every morning!
Time to quit hibernating. Shake off those winter doldrums, Spring is pansy-ful!