Friday, February 13, 2009

It's really just about the waiting


I found these two dogs dutifully waiting for their owner to come out of the store. Look at them and you'll see the melancholy of that brief separation. The whole time I was watching them they did not take their eyes off the door of the Teuscher chocolate shop which their owner must have gone into.

They're probably thinking, if they could only have a bit of reassurance that the waiting is not going to be much longer. I snapped several shots and they did not budge; all eyes were still on that door. I wish I knew what happened after I left. It was easy to spot them, even the tourists passing them by were also mesmerized.

Waiting. Waiting. Waiting.


I can relate to that. Several days ago I went through the same ordeal. Waiting can sometimes stir a lot of thoughts. It may test our resolve.

I had a couple of diagnostic procedures done on me two Thursdays in a row. The waiting was nerve wracking. I was mortified. The fact that the procedures were invasive did not make it any easier for me. Nothing serious, everything went well, but still in all it took a lot out of me.

Today I saw myself in the shoes of these two dogs patiently but desperately waiting. It couldn't have been different what they felt when they were left leashed on that bench, not knowing whether someone else would take them away and if they'll ever see their owner again. I'm pretty sure they were reunited, I'm just sorry I wasn't there to witness that.

Sometimes it's just really about the waiting.