Saturday, February 28, 2009

En pointe


Four ballets made up the programme called 21st Century Movement at the New York City Ballet. It's also the season finale and I was beyond pleased with the short programs but especially blown away by Slice To Sharp. It was intense, almost acrobatic with a lot of aerial flips, high jumps and sharp arm movements. It held my attention for it was truly magnificent and fresh, in some way a reminder of the Merce Cunningham choreography.

The use of violin solo for the most part was brilliant. The second part, Hallelujah Junction by Peter Martins was set to the music of two pianos, which were placed behind the stage that's dim except for light that shines on the music sheets and the piano keys. It was a stunning use of black and white, with the dark stage and the dancers all dressed in form-fitting black or white.

The third program was a premiere of a new ballet by Melissa Barak as she returns to the NYCB as a choreographer. She was a former principal dancer with the Company. A Simple Symphony was the most traditional of these short ballets and very classical, romantic and beautifully Balanchine. It was also very charming.

After the second intermission and in time for the fourth part, Mercurial Manoeuvres, I fell slightly ill that I had to watch from a viewing area outside the dance hall. I was very disappointed that I missed another classic, danced to the music of Shostakovich and with an extraordinary pas de deux.



Here's a sampling of the poster displays at the balcony of the David Koch Theatre. By the way, I'm not thrilled with the name change from the former New York State Theatre to the present. This naming rights business does not agree with my whole philosophy of philanthropy. Benefactors announcing their contribution to the entire world by renaming famous institutions. Was that necessary? As Alice would say, "Who the heck is David Koch?"


This giant-sized sculpture Two Female Nudes stands at the promenade of the theatre. Note the gallery in the background.

It was an afternoon of appreciation for the poised, the elegant and some powerful footwork. I just realized how much I miss the ballet.