I remember reading a write-up on the Victor Borge Centennial exhibition but the starting date did not register in my head. It pays to check the web or at least call which obviously I failed to do - my mother who's a centenarian would do better than that. I know my friend the Ayatollah Mary (MCW) would laugh and have something to say about this. Go ahead.
To my disappointment (sigh) none of the galleries at the Scandinavia House were open at this time. The place is gearing up for the Victor Borge exhibition which does not open until January 24th. After picking up a couple of flyers from the information desk, we ended up checking out their shop.
The shelves were filled with fine luxurious handmade sweaters, hats, gloves, winter gear and clothing in an assortment of design and fashion Nordic style. Quite expensive I thought, since I just bought me a woolen hat from Windhorse for $20.00 at the Terminal and the same one here costs $40.00. What a rip-off! Rose and I didn’t give in to our desire to shop. Boohoo!
What to do now? I needed to get a few items from Staples and the nearest one I know is around my old work neighborhood on 41st & 6th Avenue, so we trekked towards that area in the 20-degree weather. I was nicely bundled up so I didn’t mind but Rose must be tired. On the way, she spotted a train station that will get her home, so she made a quick run for it and said goodbye to me. Oh well, she has to be home by 4:00 pm for her Oprah Show! That’s Rose for you. Thanks for the company, Rose!
Anyway, I cut across Bryant Park and watched the skaters at The Pond while I also took some pictures. What else? They did an excellent job of transforming the park into a skating rink for the winter, but a notice was posted that says it will close down next week in preparation for Fashion Week. That’s one show the visiting fashionista shouldn’t miss. American designers produce the fashion shows to show off their spring collection and Bryant Park will be converted into a fashion arena with tents.
Just before going in to Staples, I passed by a store which wasn’t in the area a few months ago. It is the Kinokuniya Bookstore. The store is impressively stocked with tons of books, magazines, DVDs, crafts, paper, a good selection of anime and manga (Japanese comics), music, etc.
Leave it to the Japanese - everything is so neatly and elegantly displayed on the shelves and the display windows. Some of the books were arranged as if they are museum pieces not to be touched just to be admired. I must admit the book jacket designs are refined and incomparable.
What shocked me was the sign conspicuously posted which says : No Photography Allowed Inside the Store. Really? Are they serious? I never saw such thing in any of the stores around here before. It doesn’t bother me, who says I'm going to take pictures anyway? I’m no Japanophile, and my admiration for Kurosawa and Hiroshige’s woodwork doesn’t make me one. Phew!
If you’ve been to any of the Mitsuwa Marketplace stores, you’ll know what I’m talking about. You’ll get a taste of Japan and Mitsuwa is not just your ordinary supermarket, it offers a wide selection of organic produce and a wide variety of Japanese food products. The pastries are delightfully decorated, but be prepared to pay a hefty price for them. That goes for the rest of the merchandise from juices to teas, frozen foods and beers. You must carry gold bullion in your purse if you plan to shop here. Pricey!! No thanks, I'll stick to Trader Joe's.
What to do now? I needed to get a few items from Staples and the nearest one I know is around my old work neighborhood on 41st & 6th Avenue, so we trekked towards that area in the 20-degree weather. I was nicely bundled up so I didn’t mind but Rose must be tired. On the way, she spotted a train station that will get her home, so she made a quick run for it and said goodbye to me. Oh well, she has to be home by 4:00 pm for her Oprah Show! That’s Rose for you. Thanks for the company, Rose!
Anyway, I cut across Bryant Park and watched the skaters at The Pond while I also took some pictures. What else? They did an excellent job of transforming the park into a skating rink for the winter, but a notice was posted that says it will close down next week in preparation for Fashion Week. That’s one show the visiting fashionista shouldn’t miss. American designers produce the fashion shows to show off their spring collection and Bryant Park will be converted into a fashion arena with tents.
Just before going in to Staples, I passed by a store which wasn’t in the area a few months ago. It is the Kinokuniya Bookstore. The store is impressively stocked with tons of books, magazines, DVDs, crafts, paper, a good selection of anime and manga (Japanese comics), music, etc.
Leave it to the Japanese - everything is so neatly and elegantly displayed on the shelves and the display windows. Some of the books were arranged as if they are museum pieces not to be touched just to be admired. I must admit the book jacket designs are refined and incomparable.
What shocked me was the sign conspicuously posted which says : No Photography Allowed Inside the Store. Really? Are they serious? I never saw such thing in any of the stores around here before. It doesn’t bother me, who says I'm going to take pictures anyway? I’m no Japanophile, and my admiration for Kurosawa and Hiroshige’s woodwork doesn’t make me one. Phew!
If you’ve been to any of the Mitsuwa Marketplace stores, you’ll know what I’m talking about. You’ll get a taste of Japan and Mitsuwa is not just your ordinary supermarket, it offers a wide selection of organic produce and a wide variety of Japanese food products. The pastries are delightfully decorated, but be prepared to pay a hefty price for them. That goes for the rest of the merchandise from juices to teas, frozen foods and beers. You must carry gold bullion in your purse if you plan to shop here. Pricey!! No thanks, I'll stick to Trader Joe's.
The best part of my daytrip I'd say is the thought that I got my hat at a bargain price. Thanks for lunch, Ped and did you know that it was my first time to drink Dr. Pepper? It wasn't so bad.
Despite all the letdown, I still plan to see the Victor Borge exhibition, I love that guy, he was so talented and humorous. Remember his Phonetic Punctuation routine? But will I ever shop at Kinokuniya? Most probably not! Barnes & Noble's good enough for me. Washout! No pictures.