Wednesday, June 18, 2008

No broken parts

The hostas in the garden are growing wild so yesterday I decided to dig out some of the unruly ones, divide and transplant them to the other sparse areas of the property. As I stepped on this long-handed, deep-bladed spade, my right foot slipped; I tumbled over a rose bush, cut my arms and legs in a few spots and landed on the evergreen! I quickly propelled my body out from inside the poor lush evergreen and looked around to see if anybody was watching. It was a pitiful, comical site – doing a half-somersault, the “phantom gardener” (as my neighbors call me; I've been spotted and heard working in the garden at the crack of dawn). I wish I have a movie to show you. It didn’t hurt much, no broken parts, more of an embarrassment. Neighbors were kind enough not to let me know they saw me.
This morning I helped my friend Regina, who has had two hip operations recently, dig out her lavender from the old veggie patch. She claims one neighbor keeps dumping hot charcoal bricks from his grill into her garden. This was the sand box in the former children's playground that we converted into a square foot garden. As soon as the plants were firmly seated in the box planter, I told her I’d get one of our porters to move it to her home garden. Being stubborn, she lifted the planter that contains at least 15 pounds of dirt, into the shopping cart I was using, lost her balance and down she went. She gave me a scare but luckily her hand broke her fall, slightly cut but was okay. Thank goodness she doesn't have a third hip to break! By the way, I need donations for a wheelbarrow and yes, the porters let me use their "runaway shopping cart" to ferry my garden tools.
I headed back home, jumping between spurts of water from the lawn sprinklers, looking like a wet little duckling with muddy feet.
I tell you, gardening can be a lot of fun. With some mishaps too!