Everyone was on edge at rehearsal including those of us who were not part of the wedding entourage. In his bold, strict voice, the officiating priest laid down the rules. No flowers except for two arrangements on the altar. Not on the aisle. No flash photography. Be quiet. I have a funeral to attend to after this and in between I have to eat supper so everyone pay close attention. It will be up to me to tell you when to kneel or stand, and a litany of others. Holy matrimony!
For the most part we obeyed as if following military orders. Unable to stay at ease, our friend Mila who was one of the sponsors broke the rules. While fidgeting with the strap of her halter top she accidentally (?) raised her hand to which the Gestapo called out loudly,
"Yes? Do you have any questions?"
All of 5 feet and change but packed with energy Mila nervously replied,
"I'm sorry Father, I was just scratching my arm."
You have to know our petite pal here in order to appreciate this story, the script of which will be rehashed way even after the rehearsal dinner.
Now Reverend Monsignor here may have had good reasons to be cranky. Some Filipino weddings such as this one, involve many participants. 8 pairs of sponsors, 8 bridesmaids partnered with same number of groomsmen, a maid of honor, a matron of honor, best man, parents and grandparents of both bride and groom. You name it. Anybody whose surname even comes close to that of the couple and to whom they are afraid to say No to, gets their name on the list of the grand-marchers.
At rehearsal dinner the restaurant was also packed. A ton of friends and relatives were present sort of keeping with Filipino tradition. You don't leave out the aunts and uncles from out-of-town. It's a banquet. As I started to get full yet couldn't stop making a pig of myself, I slyly took off my shapewear (aka girdle) under the table. Aaaahhh! Pain comes with fashion but I won't put up with it.
Camilla the young and beautiful bride wore a simple but gorgeous ivory silk gown. Patrick was a dashing groom. The ceremony went on as rehearsed without a hitch except for the part where Father Francis dropped one of the rings. His excuse, "I was distracted by too many flashes."
Without a printed map it was hard to tell where we were headed. Should Chong just follow her piloting instincts rather than Lady Jane? The signs point to Prince Frederick in South Maryland, we may be on to something here. We finally got there after traveling some rugged terrain. It is so remote after a while we were cut off from the world, kaput no signals.
If you ever dreamed of a rustic wedding in a beautiful setting like Tuscany or Napa Valley, this is it. The Running Hare Vineyard sits on a picturesque farm with rolling hills and sweeping views of meticulously kept vines. It is magnificent but this made me nervous. The reception building sits atop a small hill!
The walk on the gravel wasn't something I had expected. A change of shoes wasn't part of my plan either. Never mind the dirt as my pristine heels started sinking into the grass by the side. My concern here was balance or my complete lack of it!


The sun has gone down and it was time to go. Camilla and Patrick caught up with us as we left for the parking lot. It would not have been a pretty sight had I gone tumbling down to the bottom of the hill. I held on to Patrick's arm tightly and slowly climbed down the dimly-lit stairway, poor Camilla had to wait.
Alas, difficult but not impossible, I made it. The view from the hill was stunning. The backdrop of the vines on the hills made for a most magnificent setting for Camilla and Patrick's wedding reception. It was awesome.
I love weddings except for the dancing part. My part. I have two left feet, definitely got no rhythm. It's not like I'll be singled out by the cameras and watching guests, but I'll still be making a fool of myself twitching like the Tasered Granny. The band played great music so I didn't mind the blasting speakers right behind me.
Perhaps another memorable part of this event is the joy and excitement of reuniting with old friends we have not seen in ages. It was a happy occasion.
There was a big crowd behind them waving goodbye as the newlyweds rode off to their honeymoon. They were a lovely couple on to a new life together. It was a pleasure to be a part of their celebration.
It would have been perfect if Patrick's brother Chris was there.
He is in Afghanistan. His wife Linh's charming presence made up for his absence.