It's always the same stuff every year, a sleeve of golf balls or sailing gear. Boring.
Rather than take her to the Pro Shop I decided to surprise Chong with a different birthday gift this time. We hopped on the train and headed for Broadway for a matinee show.
A veteran bargain hunter that I am, in case you haven't picked up on that, it took only a few seconds for me to reverse plans as soon as I spotted the TKTS discount booth. Rather than go to the box office and risk depleting my ATM withdrawal allowance for the day, I dragged Chong to the TKTS line. At this time the line-uppers are on the third loop around the block for the 11 am opening. What the heck; at half-off prices I see you have a great pair of legs, if you can drag your golf bag for hours and still sail till dusk, you can do this. I'm treating you and I'm cheap ( a $65 discounted ticket isn't exactly peanuts), so get over it. It's not always best to be the first on line anyway, you won't get the best shows.
It was a toss between Wicked and Billy Elliot. Bummer. The posting didn't include them. And the winner is Promises, Promises at 2 pm.
After a light lunch at John's Pizzeria as we walked towards the theatre, the fancy lobby of Bank of America across the street called out to me like Emma's gimme your tired your poor legs. It's an hour away till curtains up I'm shameless so I grabbed that comfy sofa seat and napped! Surprised? I got news for you - old people take plenty naps!
It was worth the wait.
Promises, Promises is a comedic little time capsule celebration of the 60s and the prevalent sexism in those days. It was a joke fest filled with pure talent and perfect comic timing. Sean Hayes showed a bit of his character Jack in the TV series Will and Grace but in no way did it ruin his exceptional performance. He was at his impeccable comic best.
Katie Finneran rocks as she performed the role of of a woman of loose virtue, the inebriated owl lady Marge MacDougall. She certainly stole the show in the second act, the audience agreed. Her timing was spot-on and that Tony award-winning owl "hoo" was just hilarious. Katie's time on stage was very short but memorable. I would've preferred to see more of her explosive act.
The music of Burt Bacharach/Hal David filled the air with some of my best memories of the 60s. I Say a L'il Prayer. I'll Never Fall in Love Again.
The verdict: this Broadway revival fulfilled its promises and I'm sure Neil Simon will be pleased.